Saturday, December 8, 2012

Colloquial American English II


As I said in my previous post, here is the new one about colloquial English; the English people speak in the street. The expression "oh my God" is very used to express surprise but some people prefer to say "oh my Gosh" just to avoid the word God just for religious reasons. Also, one can easily hear the expression "onh my goodness" also to avoid the word God.


Another term we could hear in our daily life if we lived in any city of America is "I don't give a damn". This term is a little bit rude but it is used a lot and it just means something like "I don't care for whatever". For example, one can say "I don't give a damn what you are saying" to express that you don't really want to hear what someone is saying.


Another saying in American English is "go to your happy place". This expression is used when someone is a little bit blue (which means sad) and we want them to be happy. It means something like "go to the place you always have fun and chill out". Also, chill out(which means relax or calm down) can be said in a lot of way. Some of them are be cool, cool it or just cool.


In English there are not a lot of ways just to express fear but  screams or bad language. I have been looking for expressions and sayings and the most common I found is "to freak out". For example, you can say "Sarah freaked out when she saw the skeleton.

Also, in the academic life, specially in high schools, if any student is a good one, he or she is usually called nerd or nerdy. It is also a stereotype because even if someone is not a good student and wears big black glasses and is well mannered, he or she would also be consider a nerd.

I hope you liked this post. If you have any question just let me know. 

By: Francisco Manuel Alfonso Sánchez

No comments:

Post a Comment